Friday, June 24, 2011

SQUIRREL!!

Yes those are real squirrels!

Two things have baffled me since I have been in the city.

1. How did the squirrels get into the parks?
2. Where do the Taxis sleep?

I will address these two monumental and life altering questions in the subsequent paragraphs.

In order to understand the significance of the first baffling question, you must understand the geography of Manhattan. Fist of all it is an island, only connected to land by bridge and subway. Second, there is only one giant park and it is in the center of the city, with no parks connected to it.

Consider this map of one of my favorite parks: Type Union Square, NY, NY into this link http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Now if you look closely you can see that there is no link between this park and the next park. My friends been throwing about multiple theories about how the squirrels got there. They came from Central Park, going from tree to tree, they ran from park to park at night or the city put them there. None of these allegations can be true based on logic. For rebuttal, I would explain that Central Park is about 45 long blocks away, the city never sleeps so they would get run over if they tried to run and the city has enough rodent problems so I can't see them adding to it.

The only logical conclusion that I have come to is that these squirrels, in Union Square, have to be 50th generation Union Square squirrels. They must have settled there long before the streets and buildings rose from the ground. Now, if you think hard enough about all this it means there is a lot of squirrel incest going on. Awkward. Why do these squirrels not have three arms and four eyes?

My favorite thing about them is how they chase each other like they do on The Sword and the Stone movie. Well, no matter how morally questionable these squirrels are they still make me happy whenever I see them! 

The second question is a little easier to answer if you think about it logically, but I refuse to make it that simple.

The conundrum:
More taxis than regular cars on the streets
No parking in the city or the island, none
Neighborhood streets have regular cars parked on them
Only one gas station, that I have seen


So where do these yellow driving machines re-energize? It is beyond my understanding.